Under Florida law, a parent or other person seeking relocation beyond a 50 mile radius of the other parent (or any other person entitled to access to or time-sharing with the child) must either have an agreement with the other parent, or obtain an order from the court permitting relocation more than 50 miles.
A parent seeking to relocate without written consent from the other parent, may file a Petition to Relocate with the court.

The Petition must be signed under oath or affirmation and must contain the following: 

  • A description of the location of the intended new residence where you want to relocate to, including the state, city, and specific physical address, if known

  • The mailing address of the intended new residence, if not the same as the physical address, if known.

  • The home telephone number of the intended new residence, if known.

  • The date of the intended move or proposed relocation with the children.

  • A detailed statement of the specific reasons for the proposed relocation. If one of the reasons is based upon a job offer that has been reduced to writing, the written job offer must be attached to the petition.

  • A proposal for the revised post-relocation schedule for access and time-sharing together with a proposal for the post-relocation transportation arrangements necessary to allow time-sharing with the child. Absent the existence of a current, valid order abating, terminating, or restricting access or time-sharing or other good cause predating the petition, failure to comply with this provision renders the petition to relocate legally insufficient.