After a divorce is filed, all parties are legally obligated to uphold the judgments ruled by the court. In the event that a party fails to act in accordance with the judgments, he or she is in contempt of court and can be held accountable.

If someone is in violation of a judgment by not paying support or by violating the terms of a parenting agreement, the other party can invoke contempt powers, forcing the violating party to pay a fine or go to jail. Other means may include arrears or wage garnishment.

This process can be confusing and complicated, however.

If someone is violating your rights by infringing on a court-ordered judgment, it is important that you fully understand your rights and ability to pursue enforcement options.​